Many employees need to from home. Data protection and data privacy should not be neglected.
Responsibilities for employees to work from home safely
- Make sure nobody else sees the personal data you use. Don’t leave prints on the desk and don’t talk sensitive details on the phone while family or neighbours are listening.
- Avoid printing. If you need a print make sure to keep it save. If possible keep the business papers on a seperate locked room or in a locked cabinet.
- Use computers provided by your employer if possible. Avoid using this computer privately
- Don’t let your kids do homework on your business computer. The risk for a data breach or a malware infection of your company computer is high if you share it with family.
- Don’t forward business email to your personal mailbox.
- Don’t use a private Memory Stick for business data. Make sure your business memory sticks are encrypted.
- Make sure to safely destroy no longer needed prints
Responsibilities of the employer to allow to work from home safely
- Provide computers and ensure hard drive encryption. Using the private equipment is a security risk.
- Make sure to use only encrypted memory sticks. Windows 10 can encrypt any Memory stick. No special hardware or software is needed.
- Make sure to use state of the art software for data transimssion.
- Do not allow unprotected remote access to the Company Network. Make sure to use a VPN connection.
- Make sure your internet bandwidth allows the remote access connections.
- Make sure to impement clear policies about personal data use. This is essential to allow safe work at home.
- Make sure to support your employees in secure destruction of no longer needed prints at home.
Make sure your employees know how to keep your data safe.Ing. Andreas Schindler, Certified Data Protection Expert